These are the steps I followed to compile a database of the 21,900 Hutchinson's in the 1901 Census Index.    

 1. In order to include records for several spelling variations of the surname I decided to search on Hu*ch*s*n     

2. So that I could later attach the Gender, Marital Condition and Relation to Head to each record I used the Advanced Search Screen to search individually on each of the 40 possible combinations. The only four fields completed on the search screen were Surname, Gender, Marital Condition and Relation to Head.     

3. For example, I first search on the Female, Single, Head combination and obtained 171 records which I cut and pasted to the "FSH" tab in an EXCEL workbook.    

 4. I repeated step 3 for each of the other 39 combinations and cut and pasted the results to 39 other worksheets named FSW, FSS, FSD, etc. Naturally, for some combinations, my search exceeded the 300 maximum. For example, there are 5,002 records for the Male, Single, Son combination. For the combinations with more than 300 records, I broke the search down into as many as 25 smaller searches by entering ages and age ranges on the search screen. For example I first searched on Male, Single, Son, Aged Zero and obtained 235 records. Then searching on Male, Single, Son, Aged 1, I received an additional 242 records. These were all copied to the MSS worksheet.     

5. At this stage of the process I had a total of 33,579 records on 40 worksheets. For each of these worksheets I then used the "1901 Census Extractor" to obtain the Page ID, Person ID, Piece and Folio for each record. ( see http://www.leedsindexers.co.uk/Internet_Tools.htm#1901Extractor for information on this excellent tool which I believe was developed by others on this list.     

6. At this stage the data was still on 40 separate worksheets. I added 3 columns to each worksheet and inserted the applicable codes for Gender, Marital Condition and Relation to Head for each individual.     

7. I then combined all 33,579 records into one spreadsheet. As mentioned earlier on the list, many individuals (mostly children) had duplicate records showing each was Single, Married, Widowed and Other. (Apparently when a field was left blank on the original census , the record is retrieved by each of the four possible searches). I removed each set of duplicate records and replaced each by a single record with "-" in the column for Marital Condition.     

8. This left me with the 21,900 records. For each individual, the database contains their Name, Age, Relation to Head, Marital Condition, Gender, Occupation, Birthplace, Parish and County where enumerated as well as the PRO Reference (Piece and Folio). They can be grouped by household and sorted as per the original census order (Person ID within Piece).    

 9. Finally I parsed the name column to separate the Surname from the Given Name. (So that all records, regardless of surname spelling could be sorted by Given Name).     It was a fairly lengthy process but I think it was worth it. It not only resulted in a useful resource for researching the Hutchinson family but also provides a fairly good sample of data for assessing the overall QinetiQ database and identifying possible issues.     

Cheers, Gordon Hawthorne